Electronic Benefit Cards (EBT)
Historically known as “Food Stamps”, EBT or the “Electronic Benefits Card” is a state operated program to assist no or low income families with monthly food expenses. There are however much more benefits to the cards than just monthly food allowance. The card can get you discounts and admissions to family museums and/or events. Just because poverty has given you a hard time recently, doesn’t mean your children have to suffer and not experience educational programs, museums, and ability to play with other children.
This article is centered around Colorado as that is my home state, however, many of these benefits extend to other states and other state recipients can benefit on these when coming to Colorado.
The Food selection of the EBT card in Colorado can be used for food and grocery purchases, food deliveries from Schwans, Pizza from Papa Murphy’s (and other take-n-bake outlets some of which will cook the pizza for you for an addition $1-2), Energy Drinks (has to have a food nutrition label on it), Fresh Produce at Farmer’s Markets, Starbucks in Grocery Stores, Seeds/Plants that grow food, live lobsters/shellfish, birthday cakes, special event cakes (unless decoration makes up more than 50% of cake), non-ornamental pumpkins, and gift baskets for the holidays (as long as all contents are edible and don’t contain prohibited items). Showing your EBT Card in Denver can get you and your family in for $1 each admission to the Denver Children’s Museum and the Denver Museum of Natural History.
- Children’s Museum – $1 admission ticket for each family member.
- Denver Museum of Natural History – $1 admission per person up to 10 in party.
- WOW Children’s Museum – $10 per family per year.
- KidsQuest Children’s Museum – $3 admission
- Imagine Children’s Museum – $3 admission
- Hand’s On Children’s Museum – Free admission
- Living Computers: Museum + Labs – $1 daily admission OR $10 Family Memberships
- Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) – $2 per person
- Pacific Science Center – Family Memberships for $19/YEAR
- Seattle Children’s Museum – $1 per person with EBT or ProviderOne Card
- The History Museum – $1 for an individual OR $2 for the whole family
- The Tacoma Art Museum – $1 for an individual OR $2 for the whole family
- The Museum of Glass – $1 for an individual OR $2 for the whole family
- Tacoma Children’s Museum – Donations Only
- My kiddos at Tacoma Children’s Museum
General Services and Purchases:
- AMAZON PRIME $5.99/month : https://www.amazon.com/l/16256994011
- Amazon Prime for $5.99/month
- Bertoglio’s Pizza
- Community-supported agriculture programs including organic delivery services sometimes accept EBT.
- Farmer’s Markets (not all, but most – and some will double your money value – i.e. $20 worth of produce for $10)
- Fast Food Restaurants (certain ones in certain states): https://lowincomerelief.com/fast-food-restaurants-ebt/
- Food and groceries from most chain grocery stores like Albertsons, King Soopers, Safeway, Trader Joes, Costco, Walmart, City Market, Fred Meyers, Cheapies, etc. SNAP EBT Locator
- Hot and Ready Pizzas at 7/11 (buy frozen with EBT and they’ll cook it afterwards on site)
- Internet (Free and discounte): https://lowincomerelief.com/how-to-get-free-internet-almost/
- Internet Essentials and Low Cost Laptops
- Leonardi’s Pizza (inside Winco) ($1 cash per pizza to get it cooked)
- Papa Murphy’s
- Schwan’s Food Delivery Trucks (does not cover delivery charge)
- Starbucks within Grocery Stores that accept EBT
- Subway Sandwiches (inside gas stations)
- Did you know your Colorado EBT Card Could Do This by Nicole of Low Income Relief.
- EBT Card Discounts
- Find SNAP Retailers
- Foodstamps can now be used to buy Starbucks Frappacinos and muffins
- SNAP EBT Locator