St. Austell, Cornwall, United Kingdom
A major town in the Cornwall region of England, St. Austell is a civil parish and town located on the south coast 10 miles south of Bodmin and 30 miles west of Devon. It is Cornwall’s largest town with approximately 22,658 people (2001 census). As of this writing (2010) it is in the new parliamentary constituency of St. Austell and Newquay that was created by the Boundary Commission for England and contested this year for the first time. It is managed by the Cornwall Council. St. Austell was first referenced in John Leland’s itinerary stating “At S. Austelles is nothing notable but the paroch chirch”. Because of the China Clay was found in great quantity in St. Austell’s hills – the town boomed for clay mining and gave rapid growth to the town in the 19th-20th century when the falling prices of tin and other metals forced mines to close down or when it moved to clay mining. This also led to St. Austell becoming one of the ten most important commerial centers of Cornwall. The town church was originally dedicated to St. Austrol, a Breton Saint associated with St. Meven, but is now dedicated to the Holy Trinity. 1150 saw appropriation by the Priory of Tywardreath by the Cardinhams up until 1535. The town has many holy wells – the most popular being Menacuddle and Towan. Also the town hosts a Quaker burial ground at Tregongeeves outside the town on the Truro road.