Truro, Cornwall, United Kingdom
In the heart of Cornwall, lies the city and civil parish of Truro. It is Cornwall’s center for administration, leisure, and retail. Truro hosts approximately 17,431+ residents unless you count its surrounding parishes then it breaches over 21,000. It is Great Britain’s most southern city. Its inhabitants call themselves Truronians. Truro became popular as a center for trade from its port, as a beacon for the mining industry, and for its cathedral, cobbled streets, open spaces, Georgian architecture, Royal Cornwall Museum, Hall for Cornwall, Courts of Justice, and the Cornwall Council. Much of Cornwall early history is unknown. Truro’s name origin is debated but believed to be from the Cornish “three rivers” even though disputed by the Oxford Dictionary of English Place Names. Earliest archaeological record show findings of a permanent settlement from Norman times. The castle was built in 12th century by Richard de Luci, Chief Justice of England. He placed the town what is now Truro in the shadow of the castle (no longer remaining). 14th century Truro became an important port because it was distanced from invaders and was prosperous for the fishing industry, tin mining, and copper mining. Truro was affected greatly by the Black Death which was followed by a trade recession reducing populations alot over the years. Trade picked up by help from the English government and during the Tudor period got back its prosperity. It was awarded self-governance in 1589 from a new charter by Elizabeth I also granted control over the port of Falmouth. 17th century Civil War – Truro troops became involved fighting for the king and a royalist mint was established in the area. With defeat in 1646, Truro lost the mint to Exeter. Falmouth was awarded its own charter and harbour creating rivalry between the two towns. 1709 saw settlement to the disputes. 18th/19th centuries saw prosperity again with mining industry flourishing – bringing in elegant Georgian and Victorian townhouses – nicknaming the area “The London of Cornwall”. Things changed with Truro’s Gothic-Revival Cathedral being constructed in 1910 granting it city status. One of Truro’s noteworthy residents, the great adventurer Richard Lander, who discovered the source of the Niger River in Africa was awarded the first gold medal from the Royal Geographical Society. Other famous residents were Humphyr Davis and Samuel Foote. Industrialization from mining, smelting its own iron works, potteries, tanneries, and the inclusion of the Great Western Railway placed Truro further on the map. 1997 saw development of the Skinner’s brewery producing cask ales and bottled beers shipped throughout Europe. Truro has an abundance of commerce attractions, shops, chain stores, specialty shops, markets, and has booming businesses. It is also quite popular for its eateries, cafes, and bistros. Truro hosts the Royal Cornwall Museum displaying Cornish history and culture with collections from archaeology, history, art, and geology. The museum also hosts King Arthur’s inscribed stone.
Around Truro (6/15/10)
Around Truro (6/15/10)
Photos in Truro 6/16/10: