Pendeen, Cornwall, England
Pendeen is a very panoramic and scenic coastal village on the Penwith peninsula in Cornwall, England. It is located 3 miles north of St. Just and 7 miles west of Penzance. Its a small village consisting of a community center, shop, post office, primary school, and few small businesses. The town is named after the Pendeen Lighthouse which is a mile away from the village on the coast (called the Pendeen Watch). “Pendeen” is also supposed to mean “headland of a fort”. The area was historically known for being a center for smuggling activities and mining. It was once a thriving tin and copper mining town. The town and its area is riddled with underground tunnels and passages. One of the most famous mining incidents in history occured in this area at the Levant Mine which in 1919 trapped over 30 miners. Tourists also come to Pendeen for its engine houses as it holds the oldest working beam engine in the UK. The hill that overlooks Pendeen is known as “The Carn” which is a site of a granite quarry that build the village church. This Church is the Church of St. John and was designed by parson Robert Aitken in 1851. Pendeen is also known for the Chun Castle, Chun Quoit, and its Geevor Tin Mine. It is believed Mining occured in this area for over 3,000 years. 2,000 years ago there is evidence of the Romans bringing Jews to Pendeen to work the mines. It is the beaches of Pendeen where the “Liberty” wreck can be found (or what is left of her).