Botallack – St. Just Area of Cornwall:
This is an old mining village near St. Just that was featured in the “Poldark” television series. It hosts a pub named “The Queen’s Arms” and was home to many coppyer and tin mines. Its main mine, the Botallack Head Mine, closed down in 1895. The scenic ruins of the Crowns Mine hear here is a tourist hotspot for the mine and old engine houses. From 1907-1914 the mines were reworked for arsenic. The mines in the area are now protected by the National Trust. The area is also home to the mineral “Botallackite”.
Is the nearest town to the commercial resort “Land’s End”. It is located on the edge of the moors and close to the panoramic coastline about 8 miles from Penzance. It was once the center of tin mining and is now a tourist hotspot. The town is littered with granite cottages that are now vacation rentals. In the center of town is the Plain-an-Gwarry theater used for miracle plays in medieval times as well as the more recent Lafrowda Festival. A mile north of town is the “hooting carn or cairn” that is known to be haunted by a local group of witches led by Old Moll. It is believed underneath the cairn lies the Gump where demons fight and the Devil deposits lost souls. Its the town and civil parish that encompasses St. Just, Trewellard, Pendeen, and Kelynack. It has a population of approximately 4,690 (2001 census). The name for the town is after “St. Just” or “Justus” who was sent to England by Pope Gregory in 596 CE with Saint Augustine to convert the Anglo-Saxons. St. Just was consecrated Bishop in 604 and appointed to the see of Rochester by King Ethelbert of Kent. By 616 he was made Archbishop of Cantebury. The town served the mines of Boscaswell Downs, Balleswidden, Parknoweth, Boscean, Wheal Owles, Wheat boys, Levant, Botallack, and Geevor. It is a historical center for tourists wanting to learn about the history of Cornish mining.