Tag Archives: Protestant Reformation

Nürnberg, Germany

Nuremberg is located on the Pegnitz river and the Rhine-Main-Danube Canal. It is in the heart of the Franconia / Bavaria state of Germany. It is Franconia’s largest city and is located 170 km’s north of Munich. In 2006, it’s population was 500,132. It is located 302 meters above sea level. Nuremberg saw great expansion from 1050-1571 because it was located on one of the key trade routes for the region and thereby was referred to as the “unofficial capital” of the Holy Roman Emperor as often royal meetings took place at the Nuremberg Castle. In 1219 it became a Imperial Free City under Emperor Frederick II and was popular as one of the two great trade centers on the route from Italy to Northern Europe. 1298 saw a horrible massacre (one of several in the Rintfleisch Massacres) of the Jewish population as they were accused of having desecrated the host with a hidden agenda to combine the northern and southern parts of the city which were divided by the Pegnitz River – and since the Jews settled there, this was one of the means the city had of getting rid of them. The area is now the City Market, Frauenkirche, and the City Hall (Rathaus). From the 15th-16th centuries, the German Renaissance flowered in this center. Then in 1525, the Protestant Reformation took influence in the area, and in 1532 the religious Peace of Nuremberg was signed here. The Thirty Year’s War did its damage in 1632 and declined thereafter until recovery in the 19th century as it grew into an industrial center. Because of the bankruptcy after the war, Nuremberg was given to Bavaria who took over the debts and guaranteed amortization. Eventually Nazi Germany landed here. Because of its former relevance to the Holy Roman Empire, the Nazi Party chose the city to be the location for the huge Nazi Party conventions – the Nuremberg Rallies that were held from 1927-1938. When Hitler rose to power in 1933, the rallies became huge state propaganda events and Nuremberg became a center of Nazi ideals. It was here that Hitler ordered the Reichstag to convene at Nuremberg to pass anti-Semitic Law to revoke German citizenship for all Jews. Today there still remains many examples of Nazi architecture. With WWII, Nuremberg became the headquarters of Wehrkreis (military district) XIII and an important site for the production of airplanes, submarines, and tanks. Continue reading Nürnberg, Germany

Share