Tag Archives: villages

White Salmon, Washington

January 2, 2016: Exploring White Salmon, Washington.

White Salmon, Washington

One of the more popular touristy cities on the Washington side of The Gorge or Columbia River Valley is the town of White Salmon. Originally the home of the Klickitat Tribe and a popular place for salmon fishing. A good percentage of the land was sold by the tribe to Euro-American homesteader Erastus Joslyn and his wife, who were advocates for the Natives at the time period. The Joslyn’s opened the area for settlement on October 31, 1858 after the Klickitat and Yakama lost a fight for their homelands in the Yakama War. As Europeans came into the area and took over, pushing many of the natives out, and officially incorporating in 1907. The Klickitat were forced to relocate to the Yakama Reservation. Today White Salmon is within Klickitat county along the Columbia River. The Klickitat Tribe is now part of part of the Yakama Confederated Nations. The city is approximately 1.22 square miles.

January 2, 2016: Exploring White Salmon, Washington. (http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=24101) Chronicles 22: Life in the Gorge/Columbia River. November-December 2015. Photographs by Eadaoin and Thomas Baurley, Leaf McGowan, Technogypsie Productions. www.technogypsie.com/photography. Reviews: www.technogypsie.com/reviews. Chronicle tales: http://www.technogypsie.com/chronicles/?p=17409

Events:

Continue reading White Salmon, Washington

Share

Taos Pueblo

112213-038

Taos Pueblo * Pueblo de Taos * ?a?opháym?p’?h??oth??olbo * *
* Taos, New Mexico * www.taospueblo.com * ca. 1000 C.E./1450 C.E. to Present day *

As a southwestern Archaeologist, I have always been inspired and intrigued with the Taos Pueblo, the only living Native American community that has been designated as both a UNESCO World Heritage Site and as a National Historic Landmark. Aesthetically its a great example of adobe architecture and Puebloan culture. “Taos” was borrowed from the Spanish word “Taos” (t??o) meaning “village”, translating “Taos Pueblo” to “village in the village”. “Pueblo” means “the village” or “in the village” in the anglicized writing of the name, and given the namesake as “Taos Pueblo”, its true name however in the Taos language is “?a?opháym?p’?h??oth??olbo” meaning “at Red Willow Canyon Mouth”. These multi-storied adobe structures have been continuously inhabited for over a 1000 years. As a part of the Eight Northern Pueblos, this community is known for being one of the most conservative, secretive, and private of those in existing Puebloan culture. The village is atop a 95,000 acre sized reservation with over 4,500 inhabitants. The Red Willow Creek (Rio Pueblo de Taos) runs through the village as a small stream flowing into the middle of the community, fed by the headwaters sprung for the from spring and snow melt of the Sangre de Cristo mountain range. The pueblo is noted for its multi-storied residential complex, consisting of adobe architecture with reddish-brown mud-clay construction that is divided into two parts by the Red Willow Creek. Most of the Taos buildings originally had few windows or doors and were accessed by square holes in the roof led down by long climbing wooden ladders. Roofs were supported by large cedar logs with layers of branches, grass, mud, and plaster covering it all. The Pueblo wall completely enclosed the village back in the day and much taller for protection (today they are short or missing elements). The north side of the Pueblo is the most photographed and painted buildings in North America as they are representative of the largest multi-storied Pueblo structures still in existence. The walls are several feet thick for defensive strategy, and until 1900 C.E. only accessed from ladders in the roof. Homes usually have two rooms, one for living/sleeping and the other for cooking/storage. Each house is self-contained with no passageways between the houses. In early days, they were minimal with furnishings but today have beds, chairs, tables, counters, etc. There has never been electricity, running water, or indoor plumbing permitted in the Taos Pueblo. Kivas are scattered around the Pueblo utilized for council meetings and spiritual rites.

There is controversial debate on exactly when it was built, but estimated construction is between 1000 C.E. and 1450 C.E. It was designated a National Historic Landmark on October 9, 1960 and a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1992. The original Pueblo Indians (including the Taos Native Americans) settled along the Rio Grande River after migrating from the Four Corners Region as their ancestry come from the Anasazi people who built the ruins in that area (Aztec Ruins, Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, etc.) forced to move on by a devastating drought in the 13th century of the Common Era. The waters of the Rio Grande River were more dependable. This Pueblo became a trade center for most of the native Populations of the area including the Plains tribes, often hosting a trade fair every fall after the agricultural harvest. Their spirituality was very Pagan, animistic, and shamanistic in belief structure which was almost demolished by Catholicism and Christianity after contact. The first Spanish to arrive was in 1540 C.E. from the Francisco Vásquez de Coronado expedition in search of the Seven Cities of Gold. By 1620 C.E., San Geronimo de Taos Catholic church was constructed, albeit numerous resistance attempts from the local Taos Native Americans. Resistance against the Catholic faith was hardcore at this time. However, as tensions grew between the Euro-American and Spanish settlers invading the area as well as between the Plains Indians and amongst their own peoples, the 1600’s C.E. of this region was in major upheaval and change. Churches were burnt, settlers were killed, priests murdered, and the grand Pueblo Revolt of 1680 (CE) took foot. The Taos people killed all three priests and destroyed the San Geronimo church. It was rebuilt for a third time by the end of the 18th century and relations between the Spanish and Puebloan culture found a level of peace finding strength coming together to defeat another invader, the Comanche and Ute Indian Tribes from the North and East. Resistance towards Catholicism was still strong.

As New Mexico came under control of the United States away from Mexico, officially becoming a territory in 1847 C.E. the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed with a grand peace requested and cherished. This did not last long as another revolt broke out in this Pueblo, when the Taos Pueblo leader “Tomasito” teamed together with the Mexican leader “Pablo Montoya” instigated a rebellion of Native Americans and Mexicans who refused to become part of the United States. They killed the then Governor Charles Bent while marching onto Santa Fe, followed by refuge in the Geronimo Mission Church. The Church was attacked by American troops, onslaught murder of the rebels and taking the others hostage, once again demolishing the church. It was rebuilt a fourth time in 1850 C.E. near the west gate of the Pueblo wall. The ruins can be seen today in the grave yard.

112213-069

In the early 20th century, President Theodore Roosevelt took 48,000 acres of land from the Pueblo designating it as the Carson National Forest. This was returned back to the Pueblo in 1970 by President Nixon, and in 1996 an additional 764 acres were given back to the Pueblo covering their sacred Blue Lake – a magical body of water integrated into early Taos Puebloan belief structure.

Today the Taos Puebloan Peoples practice two spiritual practices – the original indigenous spiritual tradition and Roman Catholicism. It is said that the majority of the Taos Indians still practice their old ways even though 90% of their members have been baptized as Roman Catholics. From my experiences however, it is very apparent that much of the old ways have been destroyed by Catholicism. When I asked many Native American vendors in the Pueblo about certain meanings of various stones, symbols, or items (many of which are common knowledge items of lore today) – the response issued that they didn’t know, said there was nothing special about it, or that there was no lore associated with them. This demonstrated to me that either they were keeping secret even that which is common mainstream knowledge, or the general populace in the Pueblo has lost their cultural mythos and lore, which was very saddening to me. In talking to some Puebloan contacts, many say the ancient traditions are still practiced, albeit in secret away from white folk, or that they are now Christian or Catholic in practice. The concept of “community” however has not changed amongst Puebloan culture. Their phrase “we are in one nest” has been the supportive cohesive glue keeping the community together. The other aspect is “family” with high tribute and respect for their ancestors, elders, and parents. Often pictures, photos, or items belonging to ancestors or parents would be found in the homes or shops – a part of ancestral worship in like. Descent is respected from both the father and mother’s side (patrilineal and matrilineal) and although each family lives in a separate dwelling, they come together for family issues, and everyone is available to help care for the children. The elderly teach the young values and traditions of the culture with hopes of securing and preserving Taos Puebloan culture for generations to come.

112213-121

Continue reading Taos Pueblo

Share

Sleepy Hollow, New York

062713-023

Sleepy Hollow, New York, USA

Most known for its Legend by Washington Irving. The town was originally “North Tarrytown” but name-changed to the village of “Sleepy Hollow” in 1996/1997 to memorialize the stories and Washington Irving. Sleepy Hollow is a small village located within Westchester County of New York, right by Tarrytown (to its south) in the town of Mount Pleasant. It embraces roughly 5.1 square miles and sits 89 feet above sea level. In 2010, its population was around 9,870 inhabitants. It is situated along the eastern bank of the Hudson River right near the Tappan Zee bridge. It is only 30 miles away from Manhattan. Plans were discussed about merging Tarrytown and Sleepy Hollow in 2007 since they share some services and a school district to reduce school and property taxes, but never went through. Sleepy Hollow is home to the Edward Harden Mansion, The Headless Horseman Bridge, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Patriot’s Park, Philipse Manor Railroad Station, Tarrytown Light, the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow, Rockefeller State Park Preserve, The 1883 Lighthouse, Kingsland Point Park, Philips Manor Beach Club, Hudson Valley Writer’s Center, and the Philipsburg Manor House. Famous residents other than Washington Irving are Elsie Janis, David Rockefeller Sr., Adam Savage, and Pete Holmes.

062713-010

More story and photos:
Continue reading Sleepy Hollow, New York

Share

Cushendall, Northern Ireland

Cushendall, Northern Ireland
by Thomas Baurley

A little village that has drawn me into its crossroads many many times in the searching for Ossian’s grave which lies just on its outskirts. Another attracting piece of folklore discovered during those journeys is the Fairy Hill overlooking the village called Tiveragh Hill. With a population of just over 1,200 inhabitants, the Village’s name comes from the Irish “Cois Abhann Dalla” meaning the “foot of the River Dall” or “bottom of the River Dall” as it is located in the heart of the valley where the Dall runs. Formerly it was called “Newtown Glens”. It is a popular tourist spot for coastal road travellers exploring County Antrim as its along the A2 coast road between Cushendun and Glenariff, areas most known for their natural beauty, folklore, and seaside panoramas. It is also from this coast that on a clear day, one can see Scotland, as it is only separated from Scotland by the North Channel and only 16 miles of distance inbetween. In a 2001 Census it was determined that 98% of the population of Cushendall was Catholic. The town is also very popular for sports, especially camogie and hurling. Besides the two spots of folklore listed above, the area is popular for The Curfew Tower, the ruins of Layde Church, Red Bay Castle, and Glenariff Forest Park. The area is also known for shopping, a annual vintage car rally, and some local festivals.

060212-132060212-133060212-134060212-135060212-136060212-137
060212-138060212-139060212-140060212-141060212-142060212-143
060212-144060212-145060212-146060212-147060212-148060212-149
060212-150060212-151060212-152060212-153060212-154060212-155

Cushendall, Northern Ireland, a set on Flickr.

Following the mythology and folklore of Northern Ireland around Cushendall looking for Oisin’s grave and stumbling upon a majestic fairy hill and tree in the process. More stories at www.technogypsie.com/chronicles/

Continue reading Cushendall, Northern Ireland

Share

Kill, Ireland


Kill, Ireland

Between Dublin and Kildare is the small little village of “Kill” which resides on Kildare’s border with Dublin. “Kill” has a population of approximately 2,000 inhabitants. Kill is infamous for its Equestrian traditions as there are numerous riding schools in the area. “Kill” or “An Chill” means “The Church”. There are two churches in the village, which are St. John’s Church of Ireland and St. Brighid’s Catholic Church (ca. 1650). The Catholic Church fell into disrepair and was rebuilt in 1821 as a Protestant Church.
The pretty village of Kill is on Kildare’s border with Dublin . The village has a population of approximately 2,000. The pubs here were also infamous as there were wo sheebeens and a public house. Sheebeens are litle one-roomed thatched cottages that have a big window out of which the drinks would be served. The public house is still there and called “The Old House” which was built in 1794 and rebuilt in 1943.

Share

The Village of Bushmills (Northern Ireland)

Bushmills, Northern Ireland

Originally known as “Portcaman” as a center for corn, flax, spade, and whiskey production as it was popular in the 1600’s for its water powered industries. “Bushmills” is named afer a large watermill built on the River Bush that was built in the early 17th century C.E. Bushmills is an infamous village in County Antrim of Northern Ireland, well known most for its “Bushmills Whiskey Distillery”(1608), is located only 2 miles from the other infamous landmark “The Giant’s Causeway”; 95 km from Belfast; 10 km from Ballycastle; and 15 km from Coleraine. The 2001 Census recorded a population of 1,319. The Bush river once powered over seven mills along its stretch through the village. The Main street of Bushmills has quite a few shops of living heritage and history reflecting the village pre-Industrial revolution era. The Macnaghten family has shaped and influenced the village to what it is known as today. They built most of the prominent buildings in the area including the Market Square, the Clock Tower, the Courthouse, and Old National School. The village often had regular weekly markets in the square where merchants would come to hawk their wares. It was once home to a popular linen market in 1833 as well as a bi-annual hiring faires. The area became central for tourism with influx of visitors coming to see the Giant’s Causeway. In 1883, the world’s first hydro-elecric tramway ran from Portrush to Bushmills with a later extension to the Giant’s Causeway. The Bush River was famous in Ulster legends and writings being known as one of the 10 rivers of Ireland that was encountered by the first settlers on the North Coast known as “Inbiur Buosse bruchtait srotha” (which translates to the “River Bush of the bursting torrents”). The Bush is also known in legend as ‘the great abundance of nuts which were found on the banks of the Boyne and the Buais (Bush)’. In addition as being the source of the “Waters of Life” for the Bushmill’s Distillery, the river is known for the Salmon that each year travels across the Atlantic Ocean back to the Bush which has become quite a mystery these days. The village is well known for several festivals held there annually, including the “Causeway Hammered Dulcimer Festival” and the “Finn MacCool Festival”.


Share

Chacewater, Cornwall, England

Chacewater
www.chacewater.net * Cornwall, England *

Chacewater is a small village in Cornwall, England that is also a civil parish. It is located 3 miles east of Redruth. This small village sites within a valley between the hills that separate it from Threemilestone, Scorrier, and Saint Day. It only has three pubs and a club, “Twelveheads Press” (independent publishing company), a health center, two Nurseries, a primary school, a Literary Institute, a village hall, and a collection of shops. Once the home to a popular Railway, it was also home to the Chacewater Railway Station which is no longer. The town has an Anglican Church that is dedicated to St. Paul that was built in 1828. Chacewater was once a very popular settlement for mining. Chacewater is not far from Truro or Redruth.

Continue reading Chacewater, Cornwall, England

Share

Sennen Cove (Cornwall, England)

Sennen Cove:
Cornwall, England

Approximately one mile northeast of Land’s End is the small coastal community of Sennen Cove. It is a scenic paradise for beach-goers and its beaches are more popular to the locals than Land’s End. In 2000, its population was a heaping 180 inhabitants. While not a cove in a geological sense, it fits more under the descriptor of being a Bay. Many old granite mining cottages can be found in the area that have been converted to vacation stays. Many of these cottages are arranged in terraces. It is also a base station ofr several submarine telecommunications cables. It is a hotspot to the surfing enthuasiasts because of its great surfing conditions as it is protected from winds and swell. The village has a very laid back and friendly atmosphere. Sennen Cove is also home to the first UK canine lifeguard named “Bilbo” who started his job in 2005 raising awareness to tourists about the dangers of swimming outside the designated zones via campaign called “Bilbo Says”. Sennen Cove is also home to a RNLI lifeboat station run by volunteers since 1953.

Continue reading Sennen Cove (Cornwall, England)

Share

St. Just (Cornwall, England)

Botallack – St. Just Area of Cornwall:
Cornwall, England

Botallack:
This is an old mining village near St. Just that was featured in the “Poldark” television series. It hosts a pub named “The Queen’s Arms” and was home to many coppyer and tin mines. Its main mine, the Botallack Head Mine, closed down in 1895. The scenic ruins of the Crowns Mine hear here is a tourist hotspot for the mine and old engine houses. From 1907-1914 the mines were reworked for arsenic. The mines in the area are now protected by the National Trust. The area is also home to the mineral “Botallackite”.

St. Just:
Is the nearest town to the commercial resort “Land’s End”. It is located on the edge of the moors and close to the panoramic coastline about 8 miles from Penzance. It was once the center of tin mining and is now a tourist hotspot. The town is littered with granite cottages that are now vacation rentals. In the center of town is the Plain-an-Gwarry theater used for miracle plays in medieval times as well as the more recent Lafrowda Festival. A mile north of town is the “hooting carn or cairn” that is known to be haunted by a local group of witches led by Old Moll. It is believed underneath the cairn lies the Gump where demons fight and the Devil deposits lost souls. Its the town and civil parish that encompasses St. Just, Trewellard, Pendeen, and Kelynack. It has a population of approximately 4,690 (2001 census). The name for the town is after “St. Just” or “Justus” who was sent to England by Pope Gregory in 596 CE with Saint Augustine to convert the Anglo-Saxons. St. Just was consecrated Bishop in 604 and appointed to the see of Rochester by King Ethelbert of Kent. By 616 he was made Archbishop of Cantebury. The town served the mines of Boscaswell Downs, Balleswidden, Parknoweth, Boscean, Wheal Owles, Wheat boys, Levant, Botallack, and Geevor. It is a historical center for tourists wanting to learn about the history of Cornish mining.

Continue reading St. Just (Cornwall, England)

Share

Pendeen (Cornwall, England)

Pendeen, Cornwall, England
Pendeen is a very panoramic and scenic coastal village on the Penwith peninsula in Cornwall, England. It is located 3 miles north of St. Just and 7 miles west of Penzance. Its a small village consisting of a community center, shop, post office, primary school, and few small businesses. The town is named after the Pendeen Lighthouse which is a mile away from the village on the coast (called the Pendeen Watch). “Pendeen” is also supposed to mean “headland of a fort”. The area was historically known for being a center for smuggling activities and mining. It was once a thriving tin and copper mining town. The town and its area is riddled with underground tunnels and passages. One of the most famous mining incidents in history occured in this area at the Levant Mine which in 1919 trapped over 30 miners. Tourists also come to Pendeen for its engine houses as it holds the oldest working beam engine in the UK. The hill that overlooks Pendeen is known as “The Carn” which is a site of a granite quarry that build the village church. This Church is the Church of St. John and was designed by parson Robert Aitken in 1851. Pendeen is also known for the Chun Castle, Chun Quoit, and its Geevor Tin Mine. It is believed Mining occured in this area for over 3,000 years. 2,000 years ago there is evidence of the Romans bringing Jews to Pendeen to work the mines. It is the beaches of Pendeen where the “Liberty” wreck can be found (or what is left of her).

Continue reading Pendeen (Cornwall, England)

Share

Madron, Cornwall, England

Madron, Cornwall, England
This small little parish village of granite cottages that is located near Penzance and served as one of Penzance’s notable water sources. It is approximately 3 km / 2 miles northwest of the Penzance town center. The town is most notorious for the location of the fabled Madron Well – a healing spring that was dedicated to Madron or Mabon – the Mother Goddess. The Parish and village is named after the Patron Saint “St. Mabyn” who is named after the Goddess Mabon or Madron. The population is roughly 1,500 inhabitants. Its believed that the area that is now the town began as a medieval habitation site. This is assessed by the finding of a couple of inscribed stones – one of which was found in the wall of the village church and the other as built into the Northern wall of the North Aisle, west of the entrance door of the church. Both are missing. Madron was recorded in the Domesday Book. Madron is also home to the Penzance Union Workhouse that was formed in June 1838 and used until 1948.

Continue reading Madron, Cornwall, England

Share

Papaikou, Big Island, Hawaii

Papaikou, Big Island, Hawaii
On the road from Hilo to Akaka Falls is a small little village known as Papaikou. This is a census-designated place in Hawaii. During the 2000 census, it had a population of 1,414. It is also an area that experiences alot of earthquakes. It consissts of 2 square miles of which 1.5 square miles is land and the rest is water. The population is over 54% Asian and Pacific Islander. Most of the shops in the area are run-down or shut-down. Still a interesting breeze-through enroute to the tourist attractions along the route. There is alot of sugar cane farming in the area.

Continue reading Papaikou, Big Island, Hawaii

Share