Nestled along the highway at a crossroads to Husum, White Salmon, and Trout Lake is the small unincorporated town of BZ Corner consisting of kayaking businesses, a gas station, restaurant, and lodging.
Nestled in the shadow of the ancient volcano Mount Adams, Trout Lake is a small town of approximately 557 residents (Census 2010) located in the heart of Klickitat County, Washington with roughly 7.1 square miles of occupation. It is a special natural retreat location for spiritualists, hikers, campers, cave explorers, kayakers, and rapid racers. It is also known for its numerous herb farms, organic dairies, and other agriculture. It is an entry point for the lava caves and outdoor recreationists to the Gifford Pinchot National Forest. The town has a small friendly and warm hospitable stance embracing visitors locally and from afar. Trout Lake is a hot spot for many at the closest metropolitan area in Portland Oregon just an hour and a half away.
Originally called “Chicken Charlie’s Island”, this little island is a scenic wonder along the Columbia River that is nearly 10 acre large island on the Oregon side of the Columbia River. It can be seen from Interstate Highway, milepost 174. It is located approximately a half mile from Mosier, Oregon. It is believed to have hosted a chicken ranch on int in 1904 owned by the Reither family. In 1915 it was inhabited by Charles Reither who lived on it until his death in 1963. It is a privately owned small rocky island that hosts navigational lights and was an island referenced by Meriwether Lewis during the Lewis and Clark expedition. It is pretty rocky, barren and remote. It hosts douglas firs, willows, wildflowers, cherry, blackberry, and a little sandy beach. There is a three story wood frame house on it that was privately built in 1969. It was later renamed “Eighteenmile Island” by the USGS in 1934. In 2007 the island and house was for sale to the amount of 1.4 million. Great views of the island can be seen from the Mosier Twin Tunnels hiking trail along the Historic Columbia River Highway.
One of the more popular touristy cities on the Washington side of The Gorge or Columbia River Valley is the town of White Salmon. Originally the home of the Klickitat Tribe and a popular place for salmon fishing. A good percentage of the land was sold by the tribe to Euro-American homesteader Erastus Joslyn and his wife, who were advocates for the Natives at the time period. The Joslyn’s opened the area for settlement on October 31, 1858 after the Klickitat and Yakama lost a fight for their homelands in the Yakama War. As Europeans came into the area and took over, pushing many of the natives out, and officially incorporating in 1907. The Klickitat were forced to relocate to the Yakama Reservation. Today White Salmon is within Klickitat county along the Columbia River. The Klickitat Tribe is now part of part of the Yakama Confederated Nations. The city is approximately 1.22 square miles.
~ This small town is located in Grant County, Washington and had a population of approximately 562 during 2010 (census). It was named after the Grand Coulee that it is along. It is a center for boating and fishing along the Coulee. It is also near Ephrata, Soap Lake, and Grand Coulee Dam.
Enroute to a archaeological survey I was doing, we stopped the night at Wanapum State Park only to discover next door was the GIngko Petrified Forest. What a treasure trove lying within the Washington desert for any paleontology enthusiast. The park is approximately 7,470 acres including over 27,000 along the shoreline of the Wanapum Reservoir on the Columbia River. This petrified forest was once a tropical jungle that after cataclystic events became hardened into stone by volcanic activity and lava during the Miocene Period. It is located right off of Interstate 90. We took a hike along the “Trees of Stone” interpretative Trail, just down the road from the interpretive center. You have the option of the longer 2.5 mile loop or a 1.5 mile loop. Dotted along the trail are metal cages containing in situ various tree stumps and logs that were petrified long ago. There are over 22 species of trees that can be found on the paths. The petrified trees were discovered by a highway crew in 1927 led by geologist George F. Beck. In 1938 the Civilian Conservation Corps completed Beck’s excavations, built a museum here, and opening the park to the public. In 1965 it was designated a National Landmark by the National Park Service.
The interpretative center and museum tells the story of the forest, how it was formed, what life was like when it existed and how it is now. During the Miocene of the Neogene period (15.5 Million years ago), this area was a semi-humid jungle that was affected by volcanic fissures and lava flows that once came across the Columbia Plateau. These flows leveled the landscape that once was here, flattened and encased in basalt rock. During the burial, a chemical transformation converted the wood to stone by process of petrification when the minerals and silica from the volcanic ash mixes with ground water, penetrates and soaks into the wood, and mineralized it enough to make it rock. By the end of the last ice age, the catastrophic Missoula Floods around 15,000 BPE, the basalt was eroded and exposed some of the petrified wood. There are over 50 species found within the park including sweetgum, ginkgo, redwood, douglas fir, walnut, spruce, elm, maple, horse chestnut, cottonwood, magnolia, madroe, sassafras, yew, and witch hazel.
The Wanapum peoples lived in this region from the Columbia River to Beverly Gap onwards to the Snake River. They welcomed the white settlers during Lewis and Clark’s expedition. They used the petrified wood for lithic tools, carved petroglyphs in the basalt cliffs, and lived here by fishing or agriculture.
Nearby is the Wanapum campground for visitors to stay and be able to explore the ground over the course of a few days. Near the Interpretive center is a Gem shop where visitors can buy souvenirs and stones for their collections. There is collecting permitted on Saddle Mountain 14 miles away where collectors can gather up to 25 pounds a day or 250 pounds a year for personal use.
Nestled right on the Columbia River, just down the hill from Maryhill’s infamous American Stonehenge is a wonderful state park with swimming, picnicking, camping, and boating recreational activities offered. Warm showers (pay per 3 minutes), nice restrooms, good camping facilities, and a stony beach welcome a restfulstop along the long stretch from the Oregon desert to the fertile valleys westward. It is a 99-acre camping park with 4,700 feet of waterfront on the Columbia River in Klickitat County.
Settled next to the Ginkgo Petrified Forest state Park, Wanapum is a state run recreational area located just along the Columbia River with little beaches and panoramic views. The Petrified Forest is 7,470 acre large and Wanapum is the designated camping area for the park. With over 27,000 feet following the shoreline of the Wanapum Reservoir along the Columbia River, it is a popular location for fishermen, boaters, and water recreation, as well as geologists, paleontologists, and tourists. The campground has 50 full hook-up sites with two rest rooms. While geared for RVs, tenters are permitted but have to pay full hook-up fees. The campground is subject to high winds due to location on river, so tenting should have deep stakes and secure placement. This is a popular camping spot during the concert season at the Gorge. While windy, it was a great time camping. Rating: 3 stars out of 5
We stopped at this Pacific Northwest Bakery chain while waiting to meet some friends. It had some tasty chai and great cross buns for the Easter holiday season. It was originally created by Gwen Bassetti at Seattle’s historic Pioneer Square, locally owned chain dedicated to artisan baking. An assortment of breads, baked goods, sandwiches, soups, teas, coffees, and juices can be found here. Her original sandwich start started in Seattle’s newly refurbished Grand Central Hotel Building where it changed names from Gwen’s roadside farm stand on Lopez Island in the 60’s to the Grand Central Bakery in 1989. Famous for her Como loaves. Rating: 4 stars out of 5
A great little pizza parlor, with an amazing all you can eat pizza buffet at a great price. Trendy decor with an 80’s outlook, good service and friendly staff, the pizza is delicious and plentiful. We really enjoyed our lunch here (3/22/16). They’ve been serving slices here since 1995. They also offer pasta, sandwiches, hamburgers, wings, chicken, deserts, and a salad bar. For the sports enthusiasts, there are large screen TV’s for game time. The kids can get lost for hours in their game room. Owned and operated by Lloyd Burleson of Ephrata, Time Out has a family feeling. Good times! Rating: 5 stars out of 5.
A great lively artistic place in the small town of Ephrata. It is a compact cozy old-time theater with ability to eat food, drink, and dine while watching new releases on the big screen. The Pizzeria and concession stand has a great selection of food to dine on. the Seats are comfortable and the staff friendly. Great place to watch a film! Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.
A small agricultural town with about 7,600 inhabitants located in eastern Washington. It was first incorporated on June 21, 1909. There was no known settlement here until 1886, settled by the horse rancher Frank Beezley near the natural springs they called “Beezley Springs”. It wasn’t a very promising area for agriculture nor settlement and is probably a reason why this area has always been sparsely populated. The only activity that brought people to the area was the Northern Pacific Land Grant Act, the Homestead Act, the Desert Claims Act, and the nearby healing waters of Soap Lake. The city is believed to have been named by a railway worker “Ephrata” after the biblical description of an orchard in the middle of a desert, or as the ancient name of the town of Bethlehem. Area was popular for the numerous herds of wild horses in the area, which added to trade routes and horse round-ups. The last great round-up was here in 1906. From that point it moved to herding and raising sheep and cattle. Then came the Columbia Basin Reclaimation Project which brought in workers, technology, and industry. 1939 saw Washington’s longest runways being built here for the U.S. Army Air Corps until 1945, then turned into a commercial airport. Steven Spielberg filmed the Audrey Hepburn movie “Always” here in 1989. Ephrata was also filmed in the 60 Minutes II episode on the murder of Craig Sorger by Evan Savoie and Jake Eakin.
A great Mom and Pop motel near the shores of the Coulee, in the heart of Coulee City. Great parking lot with room for RV’s, trailers, and boats. This little hole-in-the-wall, mom/pop family run motel has comfortable rooms with free WiFi, cable, fridge, microwave, and coffee makers. Very simple style and decor it is one of the few places to lodge in town. We lodged there for several weeks doing survey work in the area and it was quite satisfactory with comfort, cleanliness, and friendliness of staff/owners. Will stay again. Rated 4 stars out of 5.
Wall Murals depicting life in the area Trinidad/Quincy, Washington
In the rural communities of Quincy and Trinidad, eastern Washington are collections of intriguing historic story-telling facades made up of wall murals telling history, storie, and scenes from the past of farm and city life through the ages. The art is beautiful and inspiring, telling tales for generations to enjoy. While both towns are ghostly and lowly populations, car driven tourist traffic have renewed interest in the area.
This remarkable little alpine tourist trap resides in the mountains of Chelan County Washington boasting a residential population of just over 2,000 residents. The architecture, flavor, and culture is reminescent of atypical Bavarian village. The town was incorporated on September 5, 1906 as a small timber community centered around the Great North Railroad that was completed here in 1893. It was founded by two brothers – Lafayette and Chauncery Lamb who moved hre from Iowa to build the second largest saw mill in Washington State in 1903. By the 1920’s the railway relocated to Wenatchee throwing Leavenworth into remission. In 1962, a committee called LIFE (Leavenworth Improvement for Everyone) was established and partnered with the University of Washington in hopes of breathing life back into this failing small town. Ted Price and Bob Rodgers, two businessmen from Seattle, bought a failing cafe off of Highway 2 in 1960 and came up with a plan with LIFE borrowing ideas from the Danish themed town of Solvang California for inspiration. Beginning with the Chikamin Hotel, they duo remodeled the town in Bavarian style. Leavenworth boasts a good tourist crowd from Seattle and outlying areas that come for the cultural portal it establishes. It is also popular for its Nutcracker Museum that opened in 1995 and the Oktoberfest celebration it hosts each year. The area also boasts a continental Mediterranean climate with hot, sunny summer days and cold, snowy winter nights. Rainfall is limited by the Cascade rain shadow as well as by the anticyclone.
Legend has it that this area was home to a magnificent land bridge manifested by the Gods of the local Native Americans. Today it is a steel toll bridge crossing the Columbia River connecting Interstate 84 with Washington State Road 14. It is one of the few crossings between Oregon and Washington.
Legend and Lore
Geologically this is one of the shortest crossing areas between Oregon and Washington over the Columbia River. It is believed that a thousand years ago there was a massive landslide from the north shore of the Columbia River that slid into the river and blocked the Gorge. It created a natural dam and inland sea that extended between Oregon, Washington, and into Idaho. As river pressures began carving out natural bridges and tunnels under this landslide to outlet into the Pacific, eventually the blockage dam was washed away. Some say it originally carved a large natural stone bridge that the Native Americans believed was created by the Gods. Legend has it this land bridge eventually collapsed back into the Columbia River, destroying the inland sea, and creating the Cascade rapids.
Native America legends tell a tale that the Great Spirit Manito created this bridge so his peoples of the Columbia River could cross the river from bank to bank, and it was so called the “Giant Crossover”. This Great Spirit assigned the Wise woman Guardian Loo-Wit to watch over it and protect the river, bridge, and peoples of the area. Out of fear and respect for the Great Spirit, the tribes would appeal for protection while crossing the river. It was eventually called the “Bridge of the Gods” translated and nicknamed as such from the white westerners who came through the area. Manito had sent his sons to earth – the three great mountains: Multnomah the Warrior (Mt. Rainier), Klickitat the totem maker (Mt. Adams), and Wyeast, the singer (Mt. Hood) who all presided over the river and the bridge peacefulling for many years until the beautiful Squaw Mountain moved into the valley between Klickitat and Wyeast. She fell in love with Wyeast while still flirting with Klickitat, causing rivalry and jealousy between the two causing the mountains to fight over her. Their arguing, growling, trembling, and feuds caused lava, ash, and earthquakes to form in their path – and each other hurling white hot rocks at each other. This destroyed the forests, environment, and beauty of the valley – and broke the bridge causing it to fall into the river never to be seen again. Manito was so upset by this, he formed huge rapids in the Columbia River to separate the feuding brothers. Klickitat won Squaw Mountain’s heart and Wyeast admitted defeat, much to the dismay of Squaw who loved him so, and although at the side of Klickitatt with a heavy broken heart, became depressed and fell into a deep permanent sleep and sits today as “Sleeping Beauty” lying just west of Mt. Adams. Klickitat under such shock from Squaw’s depression, once with a high straight head like Wyeast, fell with grief that he dropped his head in shame and never raised it again. Loo-Wit got caught up in the cross-fire during this battle, and fell with the bridge. the Great Spirit rewarded her with a wish, and she asked to be made young and beautiful again – but being old, she did not require companionship so chose a lonely location. She became the most beautiful of all mountains and made her home far west as the beautiful and powerful Mount Saint Helens.
History In 1920 the U.S. War Department issued a construction permit for the bridge to be built for the Interstate Construction Corporation. By 1925 one pier was constructed and the project seemed a failure until the Wauna Toll Bridge Company purchased the project in October 1926 for just over $602,000. They built a large canti-lever bridge with a 707’9″ main span and 211’8″ anchor arms extending 1,131 feet with an overall length of 1,858 feet / 35 feet width across the Columbia River. The original model had a wooden deck and was only 91 feet over the water surface. The bridge had to be raised after the construction of the Bonneville Dam to handle the backwater. This upgrade was funded in part by Congress in 1940 for just over $762,000. The bridge was taken over in 1953 by the Columbia River Bridge Company and eventually purchased by the Port of Cascade Locks Commission for $950,000 on November 1, 1961.
Modern Times The steel construct of the modern “Bridge of the Gods” is owned and operated by the Port authority of Cascade Locks, Oregon. It is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and costs $1.00 to cross for an average automobile. Before the current model, there was a much more spectacular construct. It is a canti-levered bridge that is the third oldest bridge found on the Columbia River.
Soap Lake, Washington ~ 47°23′18″N 119°29′15″W (47.388341, -119.487611) ~
Both a small town and a natural phenomena of a magical healing lake, “Soap Lake” was called “Smokiam” by the Native Americans as “Healing Waters”. It is a soft mineral lake in between Ephrata and Coulee. It is located in Grant County Washington. The abundant mineral within the waters is what is referred to as “washing soda” giving it a suds-like, slippery film feel. The minerals are alkaline which kills most bacteria it comes in contact with without damaging the animal or human the bacteria is living on, and when the tissues repairs itself the massive layers and deposits of mineralization will occur. The lake is very popular as a healing cure for Burgeger and Reynaud’s disease because it opens the capillary and extremity circulation of those affected by it. There are over 20 alkaline mineral salts found in Soap Lake, and is why many gather mud from the bottom of the lake to spread across their bodies for its natural healing effect. The mud sucks out toxins, moisture, and oils from the skin, giving it ability to heal. Combined with sunshine from the desert, it has been known to control psoriasis. The minerals found in Soap Lake are Sodium, Bicarbonate, Sulfate, Carbonate, Chloride, Potassium, Organic Nitrogen, Fluoride, Ortho-Phosphate, Nitrate, Calcium, Magnesium, and less than .01 percent of Iron, Aluminum, Copper, Rubidium, Lithium, Strontium, Barium, Chromium, Lead, Manganese, Titanium, Vanadium, and Boron. The waters have been rumored to cause relief with rheumatoid arthritis, beurgers disease, eczema, psoriasis, raynaud’s syndrom, and paralysis.
This lake is one of its only kinds in the world, and no other lake has been found as such in the world. It drew large crowds of visitors back in the 1920’s. The U.S. military sent young men to Soap Lake to help arrest symptoms of the debilitating disease known as Buergers Disease. Some bathe in hot baths using the water at 104 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-30 minutes, once a day. For capillary dilation, others take 108 degree fahrenheit hot baths for 20 minutes a day. Others just swim in the lake for their skin. Others use the mud combined with the sun for sun tanning while others take mud baths. There are some that even believe in drinking it, but never taking more than 2 ounces four times daily. This however is not recommended. The first layer of the lake has approximately 81 feet of mineral water, the second level is mud-like and consists of a stronger mineral composition with concentrations of unusual substances and microbes. It has been stated that these layers have not mixed for thousands of years, creating the rare condition called meromictic. There are only 11 meromictic lakes in the U.S.
The town has just over 1,500 residents (2010 census). Through the years it has become a busy resort and health spa, had grown to four hotels and various rooming houses making the waters known. It also became a touristy social center with celebrations, festivals, socials, and gatherings held often. This ended around the Depression as a drought hit the lake, dwindling the tourist trade and visitors. When the Grand Coulee Dam was built, new irrigation canals were built, and brought life back into the area. From the 1900’s to the 1940’s, numerous sanitariums were built on the shores to help attract and cure visitors.
One of my favorite forests next the the Redwoods is the Olympic National Forest especially the Olympic National Park. However, when I visited in March 2016, it just wasn’t the same. It seemed not in the glorious state I remember. Perhaps it was the wildfires in 2015 that battered it down. Nonetheless, a must visit location for anyone wanting to experience “America”. The Olympic National Forest is located on the Olympic Peninsula, west of Seattle Washington. The park consists of 628,115 acres of preserved rain forest and surrounds the Olympic National Park and its associated mountain range. The landscape varies depending on where in the forest you are, from beaches, salt water fjords, mountain peaks, and of course rain forest (temperate). The forest receives approximately 220 inches of rain each year. It was created as a Olympic Forest Reserve in 1897, then re-named the “Olympic National Forest” in 1907. The extent of its old growth is estimated to be around 266,000 acres (1993 study).
Located on the outskirts of the Olympic National Forest, is the small lumber town of Forks, Washington. This town would not be so popular as it is today had it not been used as the actual setting for the Hollywood famed thriller “Twilight” movie series as well as their inspired saga novels they are based on. Because of the films and books, fans from far and wide travel to this town to see where the characters lived, roamed, and had their supernatural events. So popular there is a paid tour fans can go on, or for the budget conscious, to head off to the visitor center for a free self-guided tour brochure. The novels were written by author Stephanie Meyer who wrote about them using the city of Forks as her inspiration. The town hosts an annual celebration honoring the author here the 2nd week of September every year. Map and self-guided tour can be found here: http://forkswa.com/twilight/. For a non-fan like myself, it was a bit boring and un-inspiring, but to the fans, they seem to have fun. Rating: 2 stars out of 5
Bordering the Olympic National Forest is the small sleepy timber town of Forks, Washington. With a population of just over 3,500 the town however gets alot of visitors from around the world as it was used as an inspirational setting for the novel series “Twilight” by author Stephanie Meyer. The town has gotten into the tourism and every September hosts an annual celebration honoring the works. The town is named after being at the “Forks” of the rivers nearby of Sol Duc, Calawah, Bogachiel, and Quillayute. The town began as a lumber industry headquarters, but was replaced by the tourism draw of the films and novels. Prior to the tourism, after the timber industry declined, most became employed by the Olympic Corrections Center and the Clallam Bay Corrections Centers nearby. Outside of film-based tourism, the town is a stop-off gas stop to Olympic National Park and Olympic National Forest tourism traffic, sport fishers, and other road traffic. The town’s information center hosts a timber museum and yard with remnants of its past. September 13th is “Twilight Day” here, the fictional day before the character Bella’s birthday in the novels. The Twilight festival is set around this week.
[caption id="attachment_26163" align="alignnone" width="800"] Forks Timber Museum, Forks, Washington: http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=26115. Olympic National Forest and Park: http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=26099. Northern Exposure: Chronicle 24 – Chronicles of Sir Thomas Leaf, Lady Etain, and Prince Cian. Adventures in Washington. Photos taken March 26, 2016. To read the adventures, visit http://www.technogypsie.com/chronicles/?p=20007. To read reviews, visit: www.technogypsie.com/reviews. All photos and articles (c) 2015/2016 Technogypsie.com – by Leaf McGowan, Eadaoin Bineid and Thomas Baurley. All rights reserved.
Tribal lands outside of Olympic National Forest not far from Forks, and part setting / inspiration from Stephanie Meyers series “Twilight” it is a location off the path from the Twilight Tour in Forks. Only 14 miles towards the coast from Forks, this is the home of the Quileute Tribe who originally habitated these lands for their sea-faring quests and fishing trips. It was here they traditionally built their cedar canoes for oceanic journeys, whaling, and seal hunting. La Push is their current headquarters. They signed their first treaty with the Euro-American settlers here that eventually relocated them to a reservation in Taholah, but because of their remoteness, wasn’t enforced, and many stayed in this area. In 1889 President Grover Cleveland established a one mile square reservation here for them, with about 252 inhabitants. That same year, the town was destroyed by arson. Today it is a popular tourist destination and is home to oceanfront resorts, a fish hatchery, a seafoo company and a marina. They host an annual festival called Quileute Days every July 17-19th celebrating their cultural heritage, with fireworks, salmon bake, dancing, songs, softball and other tournaments, vending, and food. They are featured as characters in Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series as the wolf people. The unincorporated community sits at the mouth of the Quileute River in Clallam County Washington on the Olympic Peninsula. Its known for its whale watching and beaches. The name “La Push” comes from the Fench “La Bouche” meaning “The Mouth” referring to the mouth of the Quillayute River adapted by the local language. The climate is very wet oceanic with strong influences from the Pacific Ocean and very mild winters. It is an incredibly lush rainfall location.
Tribal lands outside of Olympic National Forest not far from Forks, and part setting / inspiration from Stephanie Meyers series “Twilight” it is a location off the path from the Twilight Tour in Forks. Only 14 miles towards the coast from Forks, this is the home of the Quileute Tribe who originally habitated these lands for their sea-faring quests and fishing trips. It was here they traditionally built their cedar canoes for oceanic journeys, whaling, and seal hunting. La Push is their current headquarters. They signed their first treaty with the Euro-American settlers here that eventually relocated them to a reservation in Taholah, but because of their remoteness, wasn’t enforced, and many stayed in this area. In 1889 President Grover Cleveland established a one mile square reservation here for them, with about 252 inhabitants. That same year, the town was destroyed by arson. Today it is a popular tourist destination and is home to oceanfront resorts, a fish hatchery, a seafoo company and a marina. They host an annual festival called Quileute Days every July 17-19th celebrating their cultural heritage, with fireworks, salmon bake, dancing, songs, softball and other tournaments, vending, and food. They are featured as characters in Stephanie Meyer’s Twilight series as the wolf people.
1/20/16: Husum, Washington (http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=25039). Chronicles 22: Life in the Gorge: http://www.technogypsie.com/chronicles/?p=17903 – Photos from February 2016 . (c) 2016 – photo by Photographers Thomas Baurley / Eadaoin Bineid / Leaf McGowan and/or Etain DeDanann of Technogypsie Productions Photography: (www.technogypsie.com/photography/).
Located along the White Salmon River, this little village community is based on tourism specifically kayaking and water sports. It is most famous for its 10′ vertical drop waterfall used by rafts and kayaks as a class V waterfall known as “Husum Falls” under the bridge in the center of the village. The village has some whitewater rafting outfitters, restaurants, school, and a post office. The village is at 45-47-57-N-121-29-13-W in Klickitat County, Washington properly served within White Salmon as an unincorporated community, In between White Salmon and BZ Corner. Area code 509 with a postal zip code of 98623.
The village is along the old wagon route that connected the Sandborn road to the town of Hussum, originally named as the weldon-hyndman road by the petition of the builders. Elwin Weldon and Henry Hyndman, prior to construction of this wagon road. The people of the Sandborn area used sleds to haul their products the 3 miles to and from husum. The pioneers expected “the building of this road to result in the development of a big section of the county.
1/20/16: Husum, Washington (http://www.technogypsie.com/reviews/?p=25039). Chronicles 22: Life in the Gorge: http://www.technogypsie.com/chronicles/?p=17903 – Photos from February 2016 . (c) 2016 – photo by Photographers Thomas Baurley / Eadaoin Bineid / Leaf McGowan and/or Etain DeDanann of Technogypsie Productions Photography: (www.technogypsie.com/photography/).
A2ZGorge.info n.d. Husum and BZ Corner. Website referenced www.a2zgorge.info on 1/14/16. U.S. Geological Survey n.d. Geographic Names Information System: Husum.
Wikipedia n.d Husum, Washington. The Free Encyclopedia. Website referenced 1/13/15.
American Stonehenge Maryhill, Washington * Contact: Maryhill Museum of Art * 35 Maryhill Museum Drive * Goldendale, Washington 98620 * 509-773-3733 * by Thomas Baurley
America has several Stonehenges – replicas of the infamous original from the British Isles. The American Stonehenge at Maryhill is one of the most popular sitting atop a lonely bluff overlooking the town of Maryhill, Washington and the length of the Columbia River. It is a full-size identical replica astronomically aligned of the ancient monument of “Stonehenge” in England. It serves as a replica for those who died in World War I and was built by the road engineer, Sam Hill from 1918-1930. It took him 12 years to perfect the monument, dedicating it on July 4, 1918 and completing it in 1929. He passed away shortly after its completion and was buried at the base of bluff below the monument in a difficult to reach location so that he’d be left alone by the tourists he expected to come see his monument. Hill originally built the monument after being mistakenly informed that the original Stonehenge was used for sacrifice. He wanted to symbolize how humanity was still being sacrificed to the God of War. His monument can be seen ominously looming on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River and easily seen by all passerby’s on U.S. Highway 97.
The dedication plague at the monument reads:
“In memory of the soldiers of Klickitat County who gave their lives in defense of their country. This monument is erected in the hope that others inspired by the example of their valor and their heroism may share in that love of liberty and burn with that fire of patriotism which death can alone quench.”
Sam Hill also built a mansion nearby that hosts the Maryhill Museum of Art holding monuments of the Klickitat County soldiers who died in World War II, Korea, and Vietnam. It is also the very first monument in the United States to be constructed to honor the dead of World War I. The altar stone is aligned with the sunrise on the Summer Solstice. There is no admission to the Memorial.
Seattle, Washingtona.k.a. “The Emerald City” (due to the lush evergreen trees in the area and to pull attention away from its other name “The Rainy City”. It’s a gateway to Alaska, The Queen City, The Jet City. 2006: Population – 578,700 with a metropolitan population of 3.8 million
Believed to be the birthplace to grunge music, reputation for being the largest coffee consumption city, birthplace for Starbucks and Seattle’s Best, and Tully’s. Seattle has the highest percentage of college graduates in the U.S., and home to one of the U.S. largest gay populations. The true town of “Boom” or “Bust”. It thrived and demised on its big booms … the lumber industry boom in its beginnings, till it burnt down. THe Panic of 1893. The Klondike Gold rush 1897, until it went bust. The ship building boom. The Boeing boom. The Microsoft boom. the .dotcom boom. Inhabited by nomads and tribes for 4,000 years – since the end of the glacial period (c. 8,000 BC – 10,000 years ago); First inhabited by the Duwamish Tribe with some 13 villages in the area of what is Seattle today as the first recorded inhabitation in 1850’s. Then the Denny party moved in 1851 to Alki beach and started the foundations of Seattle. Of course, there was a reason the native tribes did not inhabit that area, and they quickly felt the wrath of the area and decided to move to Elliot Bay where downtown Seattle now sits. A fellow named “Doc Maynard” moved in just south of the Denny’s. The area was first called “Mud Flats” because they chose to build the city of Seattle on top of mud flats. Little did they plan or organize, not knowing the tides, and the severe flooding that constantly took place on the space that they chose. So from the lumber industry boom, just kept filling in the streets with dirt, rock, and sawdust. The roads became quicksand. For 25 years. They continued with the lumbering and shipping the wood to San Francisco. Henry Yesler moved in and brought the first steam sawmill to the region. Struggling with the flooding, and battles with the Native Americans, it was a difficult city to live in. Prostitution, liquor, gambling, opium dens, etc. became prevalent in the downtown area. Rivalry with its sister city Tacoma also made competition tough. 1873 the Railway chose Tacoma over Seattle making times difficult. The railway didn’t hit Seattle till 1884. It wasn’t till 1906 before Seattle got a major rail passenger terminal. Seattle was often lawless and had a corrupt mayor. Lynch law was prevalent, schools barely operated, and indoor plumbing was a nightmare. Those who lived on the hills ran their sewage down into the downtown area in hollowed out wooden tubes, with current drifts from Tacoma, and dumping into the Bay, with tides and what-not, it all cess-pooled in the original Skid Row, that is now downtown Seattle. Sewage came in with the tides. The mudflat base kept making potholes throughout the city, regardless of how much they filled them with dirt and sawdust. When one pothole became so large a boy drowned in it, the city realized they had to face this problem as the pothole became 8 feet deep. The Great Seattle Fire of 1889 pretty much burnt down the entire city. Starting in a glue factory, spreading to a paint factory, then to a warehouse holding explosives and gunpowder, during low tide with no fire trucks and means to fight the fire, the city was essentially demolished burning 29 city blocks. The city rebuilt, replacing the wooden ash structure piles with brick and mortar – requiring a building code to mandate that. The city was renamed to “Seattle” – named after “Chief Noah Sealth” who was chief of the two tribes living in the area – anglicized to “Seattle”. Within a year after the fire, the population grew from 25,000 to 40,000. Mainly from the large amounts of construction jobs created from the fire. While rebuilding the city, they filled in the mudflats, and built a waffle-iron effect of a city in the downtown area. Building on top of buildings, levels, and layers – causing many new problems. This is why Seattle has an underground labyrinth of mazes. (which I’ll write about later) Now a booming city of technology and industry, a fascinating place to visit, with arts, culture, music, and business opportunities galore. The largest city in the Pacific Northwest, located in the United States, in Washington, between Puget Sound and Lake Washington. Nearly 108 miles south of the US-Canadian border, in King County.